Hip-hop honcho Sean “Diddy” Combs quietly settled all civil actions against him stemming from an infamous shooting at a New York City nightclub more than a decade ago, the New York Post reported Thursday.
Combs, his former protege Jamal “Shyne” Barrow and the now-defunct Times Square venue Club New York struck a deal earlier this year with three clubgoers shot by Barrow in the 1999 melee, court records showed.
The exact terms of the settlements were unknown because of confidentiality agreements between the parties, but former Club New York owner Michael Bergos, who did not sign the confidentiality deal, said that the most seriously injured victim, Natania Reuben, was paid $1.8 million.
Reuben, 40, was shot in the nose and suffered seizures because of seven bullet fragments still lodged in her face.
Two other victims were paid $500,000 and $50,000. Bergos said that he was unsure who paid what amount in the deal, but Barrow’s and the club’s shares were picked up by insurance companies, while Combs — who was acquitted in the criminal case related to the brawl — had to pay out-of-pocket because his insurance company went belly up.
A rep for Combs declined to comment.
The shooting occurred on Dec. 27, 1999, when Combs was still known as “Puff Daddy” and was dating Jennifer Lopez. Bergos said that Combs, Lopez, Barrow, Combs’ bodyguard Anthony “Wolf” Jones and others went to the then-hot spot to celebrate signing Barrow to a record deal.
The night turned ugly when Combs’ crew exchanged words with another clubgoer, Matthew “Scar” Allen. Barrow, who pulled out a gun and started firing, was later convicted of shooting two bystanders. He served nine years in prison and was deported to his native Belize after being released.
Follow @DirtySoutHipHop On Twitter