It was definitely not drug use that killed Amy Winehouse–according to the coroner, it was alcohol. Her blood tests showed that she had more than five times the drunk driving limit in England, and there were empty vodka bottles found in her room.
London Loves Amy Winehouse
Amy Winehouse was 27 when she was found dead on July 23rd in London. Amy Winehouse drank herself to death.
The soul diva who had Grammy-winning songs and fans around the world died with empty vodka bottles in her room and lethal amounts of alcohol in her blood – more than five times the British drunk driving limit, a British coroner ruled Wednesday.
Coroner Suzanne Greenaway gave a verdict of “death by misadventure,” saying the singer died of accidental alcohol poisoning when she resumed drinking after weeks of abstinence.
“The unintended consequence of such potentially fatal levels (of alcohol) was her sudden and unexpected death,” Greenaway said.